Details will be posted by April 2020.
Student Speaker Submissions
The Ross School of Business Commencement Planning Committee Requests Submissions for Student Speakers to represent their graduating class in the
Ross School Commencement Ceremony on Friday, May 1, 2020 at Crisler Center
All eligible students who plan to participate in the 2020 Ross School of Business Commencement exercises may apply.*
*April and August 2020 Bachelor’s, Master’s and Doctoral degree graduates and candidates, and any December 2019 graduates who did not participate in the May 2019 Commencement Ceremony. Eligible speakers will not have violated the Ross Statement of Community Values nor any University statements or codes.
- Your name
- Your degree
- Typed speech – no more than 4 minutes long or 2.5 pages double-spaced. Must be in word document format.
- Short paragraph (200 words or fewer), describing why you would be an appropriate representative for your peers.
- Submissions should be sent from your umich email account.
- Submissions should be sent to email@example.com with Student Speaker in the subject line.
- Submissions must be received no later than 5:00pm on Sunday, January 26, 2020. Entries received after 5:00pm will not be considered.
- Submit the materials to firstname.lastname@example.org. A confirmation of receipt will be sent. Please note that by submitting your speech for consideration, UM offices, departments or programs could be asked to share information regarding your academic performance or misconduct for the sole purpose of determining eligibility. The UM offices, departments or programs providing information and receiving student record information will do so consistent with the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).
- Copies of the speech and descriptive paragraph - without identifying names - will be sent to the members of the Review Committee.*
- Finalists will present their speeches to the Review Committee on Thursday, February 13, 2020.
- Two speakers will be selected for the combined ceremony. One representing the BBA and one-year program graduates; one representing the MBA graduates.
- The selected speakers will attend coaching sessions, attend a rehearsal at Crisler Center, and sit on the stage during the ceremony.
*Review Committee has student, faculty, and staff representatives.
The Student Commencement speeches will immediately follow the Dean's welcoming remarks.
The two student speeches should be representative of the following participating degree programs:
- Speaker #1: Bachelor of Business Administration, Master of Accounting, Master of Management, Master of Supply Chain Management.
- Speaker #2: Evening MBA, Full-time MBA, Global MBA, Weekend MBA.
The Student Speeches should be reflective of their time at Ross and incorporate an insightful message.
The Student Speeches will be delivered in front of all the graduating students, platform faculty members and University executive officers, invited family and friends (8,000+) and will be livestreamed for those who are unable to attend in person.
Speeches that are substantially longer than the requested 4 minutes/2.5 pages will be ineligible for review and consideration by the Committee.
Questions & Guidelines
Please contact Lynnette Iannace, Director of School Events at email@example.com