Details to be posted by April 2017.
The Ross School of Business Commencement Planning Committee Requests Submissions for Student Speakers to represent their graduating class in the Ross School Commencement Ceremony on Friday, April 28, 2017 at Crisler Center.
All eligible students who plan to participate in the 2017 Ross School of Business Commencement exercises may apply.*
*April and August 2017 Bachelor’s, Master’s and Doctoral degree graduates and candidates, and any December 2016 graduates who did not participate in the April 2016 Commencement Ceremony. Eligible speakers will not have violated the Ross Statement of Community Values nor any University statements or codes.
- Typed draft of speech – no more than 4 minutes long or 2.5 pages double-spaced.
- Short paragraph (200 words or less), describing why you would be an appropriate representative for your peers which should end with the following statement: By submitting this proposal from my umich email account, I acknowledge that UM offices,departments or programs can share information contained in my student educational record regarding my academic performance or misconduct for the sole purpose of determining my eligibility if requested. The University of Michigan offices, departments or programs providing information and receiving student record information will do so consistent with the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).
- Submit your speech and descriptive paragraph no later than 5 p.m. on Sunday, January 22, 2017 to email@example.com with Student Speaker in the subject line.
- Entries received after 5 p.m. will not be considered.
- Submit the materials to firstname.lastname@example.org. A confirmation of receipt will be sent.
- Copies of the speech and descriptive paragraph - without identifying names - will be sent to the members of the Review Committee.*
- Selected finalists will be notified by Friday, February 10, 2017.
- Finalists will present their speeches to the Review Committee on Friday, February 17, 2017.
- Two speakers will be selected for the combined ceremony. One representing the BBA and one-year program graduates, one representing the MBA graduates.
- The selected speakers will attend coaching sessions, attend a rehearsal at Crisler Center and sit on the stage during the ceremony. Their biographies and headshots will be in the official Commencement Program.
*Committee has student, staff and faculty representatives.
Guidelines for Student Speakers
- The Student Commencement speech will immediately follow the Dean’s welcoming remarks.
- The two student speeches should be representative of the following participating degree programs:
- Speaker #1: Bachelor of Business Administration, Master of Accounting, Master of Management
- Speaker #2: Evening MBA, Full-time MBA, Global MBA, Weekend MBA
- The Student Speeches should be reflective of their time at Ross and incorporate an insightful message.
- The Student Speeches will be delivered in front of all the graduating students, platform faculty members and University executive officers, invited family and friends (8,000+) and will be livestreamed for those who are unable to attend in person.
- Speeches that are substantially longer than the requested 4 minutes/2.5 pages will be ineligible for review and consideration by the Committee.
Please contact Lynnette Iannace, Director of School Events at email@example.com