When’s The Best Time To Visit MBA Programs?
You’ve heard me preach about the importance of visiting campus - not just ours, but all the schools you’re considering attending. A school visit can confirm your perceptions, or it can surprise you in ways that could change where you place a school on your list.
But, when exactly is the best time to visit? Answer: when students are on campus and classes are in session - September to November or January through February. That way, you’ll get to sit in on classes and experience what students experience. We have visit options outside of those times, of course, but the best times are when students are here.
See my latest vlog - The Michigan Ross MBA Pop Quiz - for answers to other questions.
Here’s another question we get often: “Should I visit before or after I apply?” And the answer is: when it best fits into your schedule.
The reason most candidates want to visit before submitting an application is so they can incorporate details of their visit in their app. You don’t need to visit to be “successful” in the admissions process. Plenty of applicants get interview invitations - and admission offers - without having visited campus.
That said, I highly encourage you to visit Ross - and other schools - before you make a decision about where to enroll - either before or after you submit your app, for your interview, or eventually, for the admit weekend. Here are some visit options for Ross:
- Visit in Person (VIP): Yep, we really call it “VIP,” because we think visitors are Very Important People. During your visit, you’ll learn about the MBA program, get application tips from an AdComm member, talk with current students, take a tour of the building, and attend an MBA class. (Note: Ross doesn’t have many classes on Fridays).
- For Your Interview: They can be conducted locally, or on campus. Nearly two-thirds of our MBA1s came to Ann Arbor for their interview. Our on-campus interview days include a full day of programming, so in addition to your interview and team exercise, you also have a chance to meet current students, take a tour, and attend a class. (Note: Ross interviews are by invitation only.)
Here are a few tips to make the most of your visit to Ross:
- Email people you want to meet with ahead of time and schedule a brief meeting (e.g., Student Ambassadors, Institutes & Centers).
- If you’re interested in a particular area, schedule your visit to coincide with a conference related to that area.(e.g., Entrepalooza). Check out our student clubs page to see if they have upcoming events you may want to attend.
- Don’t forget to leave time to explore Ann Arbor! Here are some of my favorite places. For a scenic run, check out Gallup Park or The Arb. For good eats, check out Zingerman’s, Jolly Pumpkin, Frita Batidos, or Pacific Rim.
Save up your vacation days. Map out your schedule. And come see us in Ann Arbor!