Business and Human Rights
- Winter 18 (A)
- Winter 19 (A)
Business and Human Rights --- In 2011 the United Nations Human Rights Council unanimously endorsed the Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights. Since that time, understanding and attempting to implement those principles has become a priority for many corporations. In addition, governments and NGOs are exploring ways to hold corporations accountable for their human rights performance. This course will help students understand:
- The international community's approach to human rights, and the specific principles and standards on business and human rights.
- The ways business can impact human rights (both positively and negatively) in various industries.
- Corporations' obligation to respect human rights (under the UN guiding principles on Business and Human Rights), and the criticisms of this approach.
- The challenges corporations face in attempting to respect human rights.
- Corporations' legal accountability for human rights violations, and the limits of the legal system in this area.