There Are Better Ways To Fund Higher Education - Let’s Talk About Them

Share

Recently, I posted an op-ed to Forbes about the cost of attending college. And I wanted to share it here because it is my hope that it leads to a robust and actionable discussion at Michigan Ross and across our peers in higher education.

As I say in the Forbes piece, “Education is the key to preparing our young people to achieve their dreams and contribute to society. But we are making it as difficult as possible for middle- and low-income families to invest in their futures.”

We need to do something about it.

I suggest a few initial discussion points including how an iTunes model for higher education might be a good place to start; how we need to continue to push the envelope in developing new revenue streams; and how unique partnerships with industry could be part of the solution.

I’d love to hear your thoughts on this issue and other ideas we should be considering as we propel the school forward and into the future.

You can click here to read the piece on Forbes, and leave a comment with your thoughts.

Read and Comment

The iTunes Model For Education And Re-Thinking How We Pay For College

Too many students are graduating with crushing debt. We have to be smarter as a country and society about how we pay for higher-ed. Photo Credit: University of Michigan.edu There is a difference between a cost and an investment. And as conversation heats up about the increasing cost of higher education [...]

Connect with Michigan Ross        
Scott DeRue
  • Edward J. Frey Dean of Business
  • Stephen M. Ross Professor of Business
Scott DeRue is the Edward J. Frey Dean of the Stephen M. Ross School of Business at the University of Michigan. He is also the Stephen M. Ross...