Meet The New Assistant Professors Joining Michigan Ross This Fall

Share

This fall, seven new assistant professors are joining the Michigan Ross faculty.

The accounting, marketing, and strategy areas will see two new faces each, while the finance area adds one. In addition, Jeremy Kress, who has been teaching at Ross for the past two years, becomes an assistant professor of business law.

The new assistant professors at a glance:

Matteo Crosignani
Finance

Recent employment: Economist, Monetary Affairs Division, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System, Washington, D.C.

Education: PhD in finance, New York University Stern School of Business, 2016; MSc in finance and economics, London School of Economics and Political Science, 2011; BSc in economics, Università Commerciale L. Bocconi, Milan, 2010.

Research interests: Transmission of monetary policy, macroprudential regulation, financial intermediation, eurozone crisis.

Personal: Italian citizen; ranked tennis player.

Why I’m excited to be at Michigan Ross: Among the top finance departments in the world; excited to get to know Ann Arbor; excited to finally learn football rules!

Justin Frake
Strategy

Education: PhD in strategic management and entrepreneurship, University of Maryland, 2018; BS in business administration - finance, University of Oklahoma, 2006.

Research interests: Labor mobility, entrepreneurship, signaling, innovation, authenticity, status.

Personal: Enjoys spending time with wife and three kids. Also enjoys running and biking.

One reason I’m excited to be at Michigan Ross: The robust intellectual environment in the strategy area, the Ross School of Business, and the larger university community.

Cheng Gao
Strategy

Education: DBA in strategy, Harvard Business School, 2018; AB in economics, Harvard College, 2008.

Research interests: Strategy in nascent industries, technology and innovation, nonmarket strategy, entrepreneurship, organization theory.

Personal: Enjoys tennis; former management consultant.

Why I’m excited to be at Michigan Ross: Excited for the interdisciplinary breadth of Ross’s faculty and the rich innovation ecosystem within the broader university.

Justin Huang
Marketing

Education: PhD in quantitative marketing, Stanford Graduate School of Business, 2018; BS in mathematics, summa cum laude, and BA in economics, summa cum laude, University of Maryland (Honors College), 2013.

Research interests: Platform design, pricing dynamics, social media, e-commerce, online advertising.

Personal: Enjoys cooking, skiing, and snorkeling. Avid card shark.

One reason I’m excited to be at Michigan Ross: Feel the roar of the crowds at a Michigan football game.

Jeremy Kress
Business Law

Education: JD, Harvard Law School, 2010; MPP, Harvard Kennedy School, 2010; BBA, Michigan Ross, 2005.

Research interests: Macroprudential financial regulation, financial institution corporate governance.

Personal: Enjoys running, reading, and Michigan athletics. Recently built a miniature replica of the Big House.

One reason I’m excited to be at Michigan Ross: I get to teach some of my favorite classes from when I was a Ross BBA student!

James Omartian
Accounting

Education: PhD in accounting, University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill, 2018; MBA, UNC, 2013; MPhil in engineering, University of Cambridge, 2004; AB in computer science, Harvard University, 2002.

Research interests: Managerial accounting, international financial institutions, regulation.

Personal: Holds a private pilot’s license; enjoys rowing and travel.

Why I’m excited to be at Michigan Ross: Michigan Ross has a stellar reputation of research and teaching strength, both across the school and within the accounting group. I’m thrilled to be part of the family and look forward to contributing to the legacy.  

Heidi Packard
Accounting

Education: PhD in accounting, Massachusetts Institute of Technology Sloan School of Management, 2018; SM in Management Research, MIT Sloan, 2016; Master of International Business, Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy, Tufts University, 2013; BA in economics and government, minor in mathematics, Colby College, 2003.

Research interests: Executive compensation, corporate governance, disclosure, international accounting and regulation.

Personal: Speaks French; certified ski instructor.

Why I’m excited to be at Michigan Ross: First and foremost, my colleagues. Also, Ann Arbor might be the best college town on earth!

Shalena Srna
Marketing

Education: PhD in marketing and psychology, The Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania, 2018; BS in business, Haas School of Business, University of California - Berkeley, 2013.

Interests: Judgment and decision making, perceptions, consumer motivation and performance.

Personal: Enjoys traveling; dog owner.

Why I’m excited to be at Michigan Ross: I’m excited to be at Michigan Ross because I get to work at an amazing school, live in an awesome town, and go to U-M football games!