I’ve learned some great lessons traveling the world during my MBA

Share

By Anshul Tandon, MBA ‘16

In the first year of my MBA, Michigan Ross has given me the opportunity to experience the culture and business practices of several countries. Even still, I never expected to be learning about marketing strategies of luxury brands while overlooking the Rhineland valley in Germany with a cold flute of Robert Weil Riesling in my hand.

This was the setting of one of the several company visits that occurred during the study abroad program I was a part of this summer through Ross Global Initiatives.

It’s called the European MBA Summer Institute and our classes abroad were hosted at the WHU Otto Beisheim School of Management in Vallendar, Germany. The course attracted students from all over the world, with our classmates coming from as far as Ann Arbor and Australia.

Among all of the valuable insights we gained in these two weeks studying here, I can tell that there are a few I’ll be taking with me to my summer internship and beyond.

One of our company visits during this program gave us the opportunity to tour the manufacturing plants of the Wirtgen Group, a company that produces the equipment needed to build and repair roads. During the visit, we witnessed the importance of establishing apprenticeship programs to attract, hire, and train talent.

Through investments in the development of potential employees via on-the-job training, Wirtgen has attracted new talent and built loyalty among their staff. We discussed the possibility of employing similar strategies in United States to alleviate the problems of talent acquisition and employee attrition. I’m positive that many of us will utilize this strategy over the summer or in the future at the companies where we work.

Traveling with Ross global opportunities started when I went to Taiwan in August last year as part of the MTrek program. Then, in March of this year, my MAP team traveled to Israel to research business practices and cultural norms for our project working with Scientific Games, a producer of lottery machines I’m sure you’ve seen in Las Vegas. And finally, the study abroad program in Germany exposed me to the business practices in Europe.

I am already contemplating plans for another global experience, and have my eyes on one of the seven quarter-long programs Michigan Ross offers during the Winter term. Will it take me to Singapore? Argentina? Maybe India?

Where ever it ends up being, I’m confident that it will be one of the most rewarding, positive, and effective learning experiences of my life.

Anshul Tandon is a second year student in the Michigan Ross MBA Program. Prior to Ross, Anshul worked at Google and has spent this summer interning for McKinsey.