- Professor Emeritus of Business Administration
- Professor Emeritus of Management and Organizations
- PhD University of Texas At Austin 1991
- MSN University of Washington 1981
- BS University of Alaska - Anchorage 1978
- BA University of Michigan 1971
Kathleen Sutcliffe’s research interests and expertise are in the areas of strategic management and organization theory, and are broadly focused on organization adaptability, reliability, and resilience. One stream of her research examines top executive teams and team processes, specifically to understand how top executive teams influence firm performance. In a second stream of research, Sutcliffe investigates how organizations can be designed to better sense, cope with, and respond to unexpected and changing demands, demands that if ignored, could result in errors that escalate into catastrophes. Sutcliffe has published her research widely in management and healthcare, and has presented her research nationally and internationally.