Michigan Ross Unveils State-of-the-Art Extended Reality Digital Education Studio
The Convatec Digital Learning Studio creates a 3D environment where online students become part of a fully engaged classroom community. The studio features graphics technology similar to that found in immersive video games, so that students and the professor feel that they’re truly present together in a virtual classroom.
“The new studio does an amazing job of creating an engaging classroom experience, and the technology behind it is intuitive and seamless,” said Patricia Russo, managing director of Part-Time MBA programs at Michigan Ross.
Some of the features of the new studio include:
- High-resolution LED screens with increased pixel density, which improves the clarity of detailed charts, graphs, and other visual content
- New behind-the-scenes technology such as three robot-controlled cameras and an automated system tracking the professor’s movement in the studio, which helps create a seamless experience for students
- Augmented reality capabilities, which allow for interactive 3D objects and graphics
- A larger physical space than most similar studios, helping to create a traditional classroom atmosphere
- Several different photo-realistic virtual backgrounds that incorporate distinctive architectural features of the Michigan Ross campus
Students report that the new studio substantially enhances their learning experience.
“The digital screen especially makes slides easier to see when the instructor isn't screen sharing. I also really like seeing the full class while we learn. It makes me feel like we are all in the same room together, even though we're all over the country,” said Online MBA student Alex Peirce.
“The studio provides the participation and engagement found in a traditional classroom while making discussions and interactive visuals seamless,” added Online MBA student Richard Simon.
The new studio was made possible thanks to a gift from Convatec. It expands upon the capabilities of the first digital studio at Ross, which was introduced in 2019. Together, the two constitute a digital education suite keeping Michigan Ross at the forefront of online learning. Including helping to deliver virtual or hybrid programs for companies and professionals in Ross’ Executive Education program.
"The new studio expands our capacity to deliver engaging digital learning experiences to professionals and organizations around the world,” said Jennifer Steben, managing director of custom programs for Executive Education at Michigan Ross. “The live virtual sessions are just so dynamic. It is another way that Ross seeks to innovate and deliver global thought leadership."
About Michigan Ross
The Stephen M. Ross School of Business at the University of Michigan is a diverse learning community grounded in the principle that business can be an extraordinary vehicle for positive change in today's dynamic global economy. The Ross School of Business mission is to build a better world through business. Through thought and action, members of the Ross community drive change and innovation that improves business and society.
Michigan Ross is consistently ranked among the world's leading business schools. Academic degree programs include the Bachelor of Business Administration, Full-Time MBA, Part-Time MBA (Online and Weekend formats), Executive MBA, Global MBA, Master of Accounting, Master of Business Analytics, Master of Management, Master of Supply Chain Management, and PhD. In addition, the school delivers open enrollment and custom executive education programs targeting general management, leadership development, and strategic human resource management. For more information, visit MichiganRoss.umich.edu.
- André Branch, MBA ’99: Luxury Cosmetics Executive Loves a Challenge
- Michigan Ross Unveils State-of-the-Art Extended Reality Digital Education Studio
- Adam Kobeissi, BBA ’20: Transforming a Hobby into an Industry-Leading Commentary on Capital Markets
- Q&A: Michigan Ross Alumnae Share Their Stories for Women’s History Month
- 20 Questions With Vivian Hu, MAcc '17
- Michigan Ross-Based Reflected Best Self Exercise Still Proving Its Worth, Expanding Its Reach
- Michigan Ross Professor Marcus Collins Explores the Importance of Culture in Marketing
- Michigan Ross Ranked No. 1 Executive Education Provider in North America For the Second Year in a Row
- Health Insurance Coverage Rises for LGBTQIA2S+ Adults Yet Access Lags
- 20 Questions With Stephanie Bohn, BBA ’98
- Two Michigan Ross Professors Explore the Effect of Negative Feedback On Social Media